Friday, July 18, 2008

Garden Update

Not too much happening in the garden. I am trying my best to keep up with all of the cucumber blossoms. Jay and I saw another bee this past week, and he did check the cucumber blossoms out, but didn't stop. We are not sure how far they fly away from their hives in search of food, so we may have a hive in our woods.
The yellow squash (souvenir from Maine) are starting to blossom. These four plants are sending up mostly female flowers and as of right now, I don't have any males. Just my luck!
(Female Yellow Squash Blossom)

We do have a strange eggplant thing happening. I am not sure if it is the start of an eggplant or not. We'll have to wait and see what it develops into.



(Ghostbuster Eggplant creation)


This weekend, I will be attempting to start my fall garden. I have some lettuce, peas, chard and beets. I am still working on my wildflower garden, I have some nice Lupine seedlings going right now. The wildflower mix from Maine hasn't sprouted, neither has the wildflower mix from 3 years ago. I think I am going to toss that box in the trash.

(Kelso thinks it is too hot to garden!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your eggplant blossom will either turn into an eggplant or shrivel up and fall off the plant. I'm having trouble figuring out when mine are ready to be harvested.