Saturday, August 2, 2008

Zucchini Bread

I was able to accomplish a few things in the garden today. I was able to pollinate 1 squash blossom and several cucumbers. We do have quite a few bees in the squash flowers, so I could probably get away with not doing those, but I don't want to take any chances... lol. Like I need anymore squash right now!

I also managed to move my peas and French Horticulture Beans into 1 gallon pots today and they are all sharing a chicken wire fence to climb on. I will post photos tomorrow of them. I was able to pick another zucchini and ANOTHER yellow squash and also found 3 cherry tomatoes. For those of you that do container gardening, all four of my yellow squash plants are in 3 gallon containers and are doing just fine!

Anyway, I had been waiting for the zucchini to get big enough to pick so that I could make this:

(recipe from allrecipes.com)
Zucchini Bread IV
Submitted by: Kristen

INGREDIENTS:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I used pumpkin pie spice)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.

No comments: